Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Setsubun

Hey gang! Sorry I haven't posted much. I have so many thoughts that they kind of bottleneck at the point of actually writing them down. If I could just pause the day whenever I wanted and pull out the laptop and type, this thing would be a finished book by now.

In lieu of all those great thoughts, I give you some pictures from Setsubun:




This is the conveyor belt to the special temple incinerator for your special holiday decorations.

Sarah's candied mikan.


Yamabushi by the fire at Mibu dera








Yoshida jinja.

festival food at Yoshida jinja

This is the slowly growing pile of New Year's decorations to be burnt on the night of Setsubun.

It is too crowded at Yoshida.


We ride the bus in awesome kimono to go see the Maiko at Yasaka jinja.

Dancers at Yasaka jinja.







We had more pictures taken of us that day than maybe ever before. Stay tuned for pictures of us having our pictures taken (they're not on my camera.)


The day was so warm and lovely at Yasaka.

Maiko dance!













WHO IS THIS GUY?! And why isn't he appreciating the lovely maiko next to him?

throwing beans to the crowd. Here's where everything got really brutal amongst the grammas and grampas in the crowd.


That's us! Plus Damian who is taking the picture, and Paivi who left for Nara.

requisite obi tie picture.


We went to Gion Tsujirien for Matcha parfaits and also ended up with a crazy matcha soba noodles in soymilk broth.

Right after we took this picture of my kimono coordinate, a security guard appeared from nowhere and told us pictures weren't allowed. Pictures of what? I say.

We celebrate setsubun with all-you-can-eat Shakey's pizza.


Big tuna!

The matsuri at Yoshida is winding down.

The big Yoshida fire!


look in the background.



This is the Fahrenheit 451 fire fighter guarding the big fire. (or guarding us, I guess I mean?)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks as always for sharing your pictures. I'm curious about the grid of chasen - was that a display somewhere? In my imagination it's an arsenal for a brigade of chajin who might need to grab a chasen and assemble en masse at a moment's notice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! The chasen wall is in the Gion Tsujirien cafe. It was late last night and I was getting lazy with the captions! I hope that if we did need to save the world with chasen, everyone packing the upstairs of Tsujirien would break the glass and do just what you suggest!

      Delete