These two videos I found give an idea, but they don't show the part that really made that night memorable for me.
So, now it's 2014 and St Vincent has a new album out and Damian and I went to her concert here in London on Thursday. It was another good show and I enjoyed it. While there remain serious, beautiful electric guitars there are some new interesting developments going on-- Annie wore a mini dress and really high heels with her guitar and microphone and has incorporated some choreography that fills the time between singing and guitar playing. Sometimes Annie and the keyboardist/bassist Toko Yasuda had little synchronized moments of dancing and playing.
Like this (only with way more sound, especially bass):
Here's a bootleg from the gig I was at:
I had a funny feeling about it. I thought it was kinda cool and entertaining, but that mincing walk and rehearsed dance movement also gave me a knee jerk feeling that it was sort of "artificial" or calculated seeming compared to the way I perceive "sincerity" in rock music as rocking out and not caring how you look to other people because you're so lost in the music making -- just like in classical music I always think the soloist who is swaying and weaving to their own music making is kind of embarrassing but also it's exciting to feel like the music is so powerful and important that they no longer care if they look silly or undignified. Or actors who act out ugly emotions or humiliating situations-- I always think to myself I could never do that.
Well, I'm also a performance studies scholar so even though I have those reactions, I also find myself interrogating such notions pretty thoroughly too. And I thought to myself first and foremost: why do I automatically privilege a performance I perceive as uncontrollable as more "real" and more "authentic"? Obviously, because we are all trained to in western society which obsessively favors the "authentic" over the "theatrical," the "natural" over the "artificial," and the "real" over the "fake." There is a romantic impulse to believing in the spontaneous expression of some true sentiment, some sincere expression of ecstasy through music. And as many scholars and feminists before me have pointed out, these binary notions have been incessantly gendered along binary lines. Women tend to lose out on both sides of the equation, alternately classed as closer to "nature" and therefore irrational, less capable of intellectual refinement and culture or as dangerously imbricated with "artifice" in their use of fashion and makeup, a reputation for dishonesty that spread beyond dissembling appearance to forms of intellectual dishonesty like gossip (two-facedness), triviality, and so on.
And so here's St Vincent and my first thought is that I distrust the "artificiality" of the choreography and deliberate physical movements in the new concert. And then I thought of how we could think of those movements as feminine--not only for how artifice has been historically coded as feminine, but also because the movements are delicate: mincing steps in high heels, delicate wrists bending and isolated. I wondered then if my internal measure that evaluates musical performance on the basis of perceived spontaneous "authentic" expression is one already skewed by the weight of gendered assumptions.
And then I thought, maybe St Vincent is offering me a new way to hope for a more equitable future for men and women. She's already proved that girls can rock as hard as the boys. Now maybe can we reclaim some apparently "feminine" performance tropes for rock awesomeness too. Maybe we can look at her ability to mix her delicate frame (yes, Annie Clark is conventionally beautiful, albeit quirky--discussing beauty privilege is another post.), sky high heels, coy choreography with hard, loud guitar awesomeness and musical ecstatic abandon as another model for making it okay to be whoever you are, attempt whatever musical stylings move you, whatever your gender, or body, or musical persuasion.
Postscript: here's a longform piece about St. Vincent's process for the new tour. I haven't read it all yet, but it starts out with relevant and interesting information: Village Voice.
Interesting to differentiate classical soloing from shredding. If you listen to Clark's solo on Surgeon from Shepherds Bush Empire and, say, 4AD Session, it turns out she's playing the same notes. "Authentic" and "real", but apparently well rehearsed as well... Theatrical! She puts on a show, and for me the question is how "real" it is when she's playing the same solos - I am guessing your reaction to classical musician lost in their performance is almost exactly mine to Clark. Is that why you were dubious about "swaying and weaving"? Because it's music at its most "artificial" and least creative? Just playing notes as faithfully to the notation as possible... I may be spoiled by jazz improvisation, the "truely authentic" music created on the spot (using harmonies of a theme as the frame for improvisation, so again - controlled).
ReplyDeleteAnd, yes.
"Natural" is
the new
skillfully crafted illusion.
I'm actually thinking of classical swaying and weaving and rocking out as the same thing-- being lost in the music-- but absolutely, you hit the nail on a head I was sort of trying to point too: that that movement style that communicates "authentically lost in the music" IS rehearsed, repeatable, and is itself a performance that is adopted by many people probably BECAUSE it communicates effectively "I'm lost in the music. This is authentic." It's a style of performance that, as you note, hides its origin in recognizable (because replicated) signifiers and pretends to be a natural outpouring without any concern for how it looks.
ReplyDeleteActually, one of the things that my teacher kept repeating to me in music school was that I need to be more theatrical (if not using the exact word) - not show in any way that I played a wrong note or did sth weird, and perform not only by playing the sounds, but expressing the music with body movement. Perhaps it is more important in percussion instruments, where often you need to physically move (jump from one end of marimba to the other) and playing technique involves more muscle ;)
ReplyDeleteThis is interesting-- your example here points to the way in which "theatricality" and "authenticity" fail to stay separate and opposite-- it seems that your music teacher is teaching you to consciously perform your body in a way that will communicate the appearance of sincerity (and perfection, in the case of hiding errors)-- ie, there is a clear theatricality to training the body to express sincerity and "authenticity."
ReplyDeleteI think it goes even further: why do we practice so much? Because we want to get to the point where playing an instrument becomes second nature. It becomes natural only through training, unless you are a... "natural". Repetition is the way to get so used to something it's no longer an effort. Tea is a perfect example of this, because to us the bows, the walking, the environment and utensils are as far from natural as possible, and yet - we strive for it to become second nature.
ReplyDelete