Thursday, January 24, 2013

Hours

After a good 6 to 8 years of getting a good, healthy amount of sleep regularly, I am slipping back into college sleep habits. I am up late and up early, averaging more like 6 to 6.5 hours, despite my best intentions. I was better than this for most of the autumn too (at least until Christmas chakai), even when everyone else was already losing sleep hours. I am kind of wondering if it's the amount of scheduled time--just like in college, there is someplace I *have* to be for most of the day, and generally in the evening. In college, it was a full schedule of classes and then play rehearsals; now it's prep, school, cleanup, evening chores, and regularly scheduled practices in the evening (we have big new procedures coming up, and we want to prove ourselves so we can do some unusual stuff in February).
It seems to me that leisure time is actually a necessary part of my life, and if there isn't time made for it during the regular 16 hours of the day, I just automatically take it out of my sleeping time. Thinking back to college, I know I did social things and I had internet access already, but either I am romanticizing my own work ethic or there were fewer distractions that had become "necessary" to my leisure time (I'm looking at you facebook.)  And yet, I am not going to bemoan facebook. I am also rather better informed about both current events and my beloved friends far away due to it. Plus, I have a lot more beloved friends on more continents and in more countries than I did then. No apologies for caring about them (you).
Sorry if you haven't heard from me lately. I've been busy. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment