Friday, January 11, 2013

Reasons to love Japan #786

Back in Kyoto and tomorrow is Hatsugama! We get to wear extra fun kimono tomorrow if we like (and have) them, and Sarah and I were downtown looking for stuff.

So, at the time to catch the bus back home, we saw a 12 as we reached the street, so we ran for it-- really too far to run for a bus, like two or three blocks-- and I really nearly made it--the bus was at the stop, and so to show that I was running for the bus and not just, I don't know, the foreigner running down Shijo for fun, I quickly checked my blindspot then jumped over the curb into the road as I reached the bus, so they could tell I was running to the 12.  Well, Mr. 12 didn't care and pulled out just as I could basically touch the bus with my hand.  So that made me unhappy as Sarah caught up to me and asked if I lost something, because she thought she saw something fall as I was running.  I'm looking around in my bag, and I think my handkerchief is gone--- when a tall man in a suit walks up to me

with my wallet in his hand.

Yeah. Good thing we didn't catch that bus after all. I thanked him profusely. And then we walked back to the corner, and I'd dropped my handkerchief too.  But mostly I'm so glad I didn't lose my wallet. And thank you again stranger who picked it up and just handed it back to me.

2 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for the magic combination of stubborn driver, honest bystander and bad/good timing! I'm glad it worked out so well.

    P.S. Saw your blog mentioned on sweetpersimmon so I strolled on over to say Hi. (I was a short-term student on Midorikai a couple of years back :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks for dropping a line and welcome!

      Delete