We have recently had a visitor who has the most severe case of schooner obi I have ever witnessed in my long career in kimono medicine.
And in other news, experts have recently detected one of the first few diseases of male kimono:
Subobi. This is the obi that is sliding down so far that one is worried it will fall right off. (from "Suberi obi-- sliding obi"
Marilyn. This is when the wind blows the bottom half of the kimono so hard that it flies up and away like Marilyn Monroe's 7 Year Itch white dress. I'm afraid I witnessed a severe case of Marilyn a few weeks ago with one of our new students while we were carrying armloads of flowers and sweets to class in freak gale force winds.
Some additional diseases of kimono:
Slobi. This is the girl version of subobi. It's when the layers of the obi try to slide apart, revealing the layers underneath the outer one.
Peekabage (pee-kuh-bah-gay) When your obiage (the scarfy bit at the top) won't stay tucked and keeps peekaboo-ing up.
Osaka: this is when your collar starts to gape open so you look like some louche Osaka lady instead of a buttoned up, straight laced Kyoto woman.
| See this lady we met at the sumo in Osaka? She has OSAKA. |
Seasonal diseases:
Summer sausage leg. Sausage leg exacerbated by the hot summer weather and resulting sweat.
Is 'Osaka' when your kimono neckline hoicks forward and the napeline abruptly stops being sexy? Because I sooo have that problem :-(
ReplyDeleteIf you're accepting nominations for your kitsuke glossary, how about 'getaway Jimmy' (what happens when one end of your obijime makes a half-hearted escape from its tucked-in prison). Or 'Jimmy droop', when the entire obijime starts moving south on the obi, evilly proclaiming that you're two decades older than you actually are.
I'm not even going to mention my long battle with 'duck tabi'...