I have been reminded that it is national talk like a pirate day. In honor of this, I will tell you the story of National Talk Like a Pirate Day 2006. It was early in my first semester at Brown and in my undergrad-level Anthropology of Japan class I was wearing an outfit I really like. It consists of tight black and grey striped trousers and a very old tuxedo shirt meant for a very big man-- maybe 18" neck? Because it is a real tuxedo shirt, it requires shirt studs to close--there aren't any buttons. So I wear it over a tank top and use a big black hipslung belt to keep it closed. I feel extremely Patti Smith in this outfit, probably with ankle boots of some variety.
And, sitting next to the two adorable freshmen who were my seat buddies in that class. One was like, 'Oh are you dressed for National Talk Like a Pirate Day?' and I was like, "What?"
And then, poor thing, she was really embarrassed but I thought it was awesome. And also I learned about the existence of National Talk Like a Pirate Day.
No comments:
Post a Comment