"Yoroshiku" is one of those untranslatable words we use all the time in Tea. It literally means something along the lines of "please be kind to me" and connotes something more like "I'll do my best, so please help me or be kind to me."
It's so overused (or at least widely used) that in my Langenscheidt dictionary it's just listed as "well" or "pleased to meet you." It's true we say this unfailingly upon meeting someone. Conjugated in different ways, people of all ranks say it to each other, all the time, and that goes triple in Tea. One internet commentator states, it "implies your respect and politeness to the people you meet, your good will and determination" (KEC Journal).
What a great way to start and end conversations, events, group endeavors of any kind. Here's the thing: we say it so much no one means it.
I was struck by this thought tonight while talking with my colleagues. We are all having a great time, this is an amazing opportunity, AND at the same time, there are certain things that are really hard. I mean, look at us. We are spending every day doing affective labor designed to make other people feel nice and to erase how much of our own work and suffering went into that. This is an interesting thing to do with our time, and (perhaps not surprisingly) we can get hung up on the suffering, or hung up on the work, and forget about the feeling nice. Or we worry only about the nice feelings of the guest or the teacher (I mean, it's still an exceedingly hierarchical society) and trample everyone else (EVEN OUR GUESTS WHO ARE FELLOW STUDENTS) if they appear to get in the way of the form of things.
This may happen all the time no matter what you do with your days, but here we have the bizarre luxury of thinking about it all the time, without much distraction from doing anything, you know, material. I don't need to produce anything at the end of the day except a person who can create more nice feelings. So I have time to think about where I am creating good feelings and where I am creating bad. Or where my colleagues and sempai are creating such good or bad feelings.
This is not to say that anyone has bad intentions. Only that there are innumerable things happening at every moment and the impossibility of perfection has already been realized and simultaneously the impossibility of giving up an attempt at perfection has also been realized. So far, same-o same-o. High pressure situation like many jobs people do everyday, and the stakes are low yet we let them become high (ie, in other situations, it is not a massive deal if towels are not neatly folded and stacked in a back room. Not so here.) Add to this also that here we are not individuals. We rise or fall, succeed or fail as a group, so people put pressure on each other, because one person's mistake will be everyone's fault. And yet how to make eight disparate people (and sometimes nine, and sometimes twelve) into a cohesive whole (who are imparting simultaneous correction AND good feelings to each other) is an unperfected science. Sometimes we do okay, sometimes it's a real mess.
Some would say this is a Western problem, but I don't buy it. Japanese sociologists invented a whole schema for this: Honne and Tatemae (true inner feeling and exterior). A whole canon of Kabuki plays are about characters torn between following their individual desires (running away with a geisha) and their duty (working and being good rather than getting into run-ins with the rich older guy who also likes the girl). I suspect us foreigners just talk about it more.
But, to go back: we say "yoroshiku" to each other all day long. We ask each other to be kind to us and we simultaneously promise to do our best. And still sometimes although we promised to be kind, we're not. It may of course be that someone else is not doing their best, but I've been around long enough to realize that I have no idea what it's like to be someone else, and I don't know what that person's best looks like from the outside. I have no idea how someone else is feeling, so it's better (and kinder) to abstain from judging whether or not someone deserves the kindness of the yoroshiku they asked for. I would rather be kind and let the other person deal with whether or not they have earned it. Even though we succeed or fail together, and someone else may cause my embarrassment or my discomfort, that is when we have to hold up our end of the yoroshiku.
The kindness of yoroshiku may also be correction, but HOW the correction is done is the key, and it's probably the hardest way to successfully be kind. We do succeed at it-- flipping down each others' obi tails when they go wonky, telling someone of some mistake they've made so that a teacher or sempai doesn't see it (and perhaps correct with less kindness), but it's awfully easy to correct someone less than kindly, no matter how well one means.
And let's face it, sometimes it's hard to mean it kindly when we're all so tired, we're all so rushed, we're all in a position where we can't do everything just so-- because gravity actually still exists and causes something to fall over or not lie right, because there's no time, because my legs will actually physically, seriously not fold up and then extend again to sit down completely properly and stand up again just to take one thing that's right there. While I was still in New England, I swore to myself I would not pick up and put things down from a standing position (it's extremely frowned on) but would always get down and pick it up and get up again. What I had not counted on was the amount of physical pain I would be in. It's beyond the laziness and minor discomfort I occasionally succumbed to before coming here. It's that I really can't do it sometimes.
So, how do we remember what yoroshiku means when we say it, rather than just remembering when to say it?
wonderful post!!
ReplyDeleteGood stuff.
ReplyDeleteSometimes being mean is one of the best ways to help/correct. Like you said, everyone's best is different, and likewise everyone learns differently, and every situation calls for a unique method to best help another person learn. We can't always know what the best way to help is and keeping things working smoothly in your group is a great challenge, which feels great when it works. Looking back though, many of the things I learned which really stuck with me were the more painful learning experiences. Getting yelled at by a teacher or feeling the shame when messing something up for the group. Of course some people feel no shame and shrug off being yelled at but I'd be tempted to say that that type of person is never truly interested in focusing on the happiness of others.
"So, how do we remember what yoroshiku means when we say it, rather than just remembering when to say it?" I'd say, just remember it. You know what it means so mean it when you say it. Force yourself to think about what you are saying every time you say it. Matsunami-sensei gave a nice talk about the same type of thing when saying itadakimasu. When we say it we should really be thankful for the food and every person who helped get it to your plate, even down to thanking the birds who didn't eat it while it was growing so that it could eventually be yours. I found that if I thought about the deep meanings of these saying we use continuously they started to have deeper impact every time I said them. It's tough because it's extra work and thought and I know for a while it's hard enough to just remember to say them, but that will all become thoughtless as you do it for the millionth time and you will be able to fill those seconds with honest projection from the heart rather than mere words.
I strongly disagree with the statement that "being mean is one of the best ways to help/correct". It never is. Mean is by definition "characterized by petty selfishness or malice; causing trouble or bother : vexatious", to quote Merriam-Webster for reference. There is no intention to help in meanness whatsoever. Being strict is one thing, but person who is mean is in no way "focusing on the happiness of others". They're doing exactly the opposite of what "yoroshiku" asks for.
DeleteThis is a great post! To try and put what Michelle is saying in other words I'd say that yoroshiku is a wonderful expression of empathy: be kind to me, try to understand me and I will do my best to do the same. It just struck me as I was re-reading this post: the simplicity of the whole issue when looked at as empathy. I believe it's one of the most fundamental ideas in chanoyu. Strangely enough, before reading this post I didn't even think of yoroshiku as something that is an expression of any promise of the person saying it. It is humble, because asking for kindness requires that one rejects their ego. Ever since I came to Japan I feel like I've been saying it less and less, but it means more to me now than it did before; yet I know that is not quite true, because we do say it out of habit and there's no surprise in it, since it's a part of the protocol: when we start lecture or practice, when we work together with someone in the kitchen, when we ask anyone to do anything for us... Trying to remember what that word means whenever we say that is difficult, but definitely worth trying :)
ReplyDelete