Friday, October 5, 2012

Scenes from a sumikiri

Ready to work (in samue-- our workclothes)



 Three great looks from the sumikiri fashion show. (My favorite is Sarah's elf look, above)





 What we actually do-- sit at low tables sawing charcoal with a little stick template to measure. Then we use a cinder block as a grind stone to make them perfectly square and exact sizes.
sumikiri mafia ...and the many faces of sumikiriMichelle
 

 the coal miner's daughter is a coal miner look.

 My post-sumikiri cutting hand, with fan in protective paper wrapper...And I was wearing gloves.

6 comments:

  1. gee, I thought the white gloves would have kept everything clean...

    Hey, who sprang for the cool hats? I never had a cool hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never figure out how to sign in to this site. It's all in Polish...

      good enough hint?

      Delete
    2. I think so... Aaron?!? I can't believe you never had a cool hat-- the ones we had definitely seemed old and wabi enough to have been there. Maybe they'd been demoted from picking-up-leaves-with-your-fingers-in-the-garden hats somewhere in between.

      Delete
    3. Good guess! Nope, no hats, unless you had your own. I think those hats probably get wabi quickly under those conditions. I'll send you a few pictures of how we dealt with the sun.

      Delete
  2. Wait, what is the purpose of making perfect charcoal briquettes? I assume you're not grilling things over there... Also, I was going to ask what was with all of the medical masks but then I answered my own question as I was writing this comment. I like the scrunched up face the best. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We make perfect briquettes in order to burn them under our kettles of water to make perfect tea. And because we are crazy.

      Delete