Thursday, September 5, 2013

Another beginning

It seems that I live in London now.

I arrived this morning about 7am, and I was through immigration and customs by 8. They put a big black regular stamp on my beautiful $815 embossed sticker visa.
Then my driver was 20 minutes late to pick me up. We wended our way all the way across London from west to east, through South Ken (my old stomping grounds!), through Pimlico, crawling along Cheyne Walk and Chelsea Embankment. The driver was very frustrated and kept turning down side streets to speed, then getting stuck in the scrum again. He does though know London exceptionally well I thought. Either that or we went to crazy places zigzagging over town and I didn't realize. But the fare was recalculated, so he didn't make any money on that. Then we passed the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey, then Old Street. I saw the Book Arts Book Shop where I sold some copies of Birkensnake back in 2010.  Then we finally arrived in Clapton, and John was on the street corner and let me in to the place.  He'd also been cleaning it before I arrived, which is super sweet.  it's not a luxurious place.

I fell asleep for a little while-maybe two hours at the most- the only sleep I've had in about 30 hours. Then when I woke up around 2pm, I decided it was time to go out in the world and try to figure some things out.  I couldn't take a shower because even though I brilliantly decided to bring two towels, I stupidly packed them in the boxes that won't come for at least 2 weeks. Same with my duvet cover and pillowcases. SO although I have a bottom sheet, left for me at my short term place, and a pillow, I have nothing else and had to go buy it.  I also want a phone immediately, but the smart phone research was what put me to sleep in the first place, and I realized after I'd gone out that I needed to do some more research before I could just buy one. Honestly, all the figuring (and realizing how expensive it is) makes me want to just forget it. Please reassure me that smart phones are worth it in the end.

So, I decided just to dead reckon toward the nearest Three Mobile phone storefront which happens to be in an area I know, right next to where John works.  But I didn't go too straight, I just walked along looking for a decent lunch, a place to sell me water and an A to Z, a towel and a pillowcase.  I ended up zigzagging down south, then up across London Fields. As I was walking down a residential street with a tall apartment building on one side, I heard this sweet little girlish voice cry "hello!" and I looked around to see nothing until I looked up and saw a  little Black toddler wearing just a white diaper (nappy, I suppose) clutching the balcony bars above me who broke into a huge smile when I finally found him and waved to me.  I waved back and he seemed very happy.
I passed by what I think is an abandoned church.  It was sunny and got very warm today.
I would have been posting pictures of these things online, but I don't own a smart phone yet, so I can't.
I had a shrimp po'boy sandwich eventually after passing many cafes that seemed nice and cheap in their own ways, and that I realized I was just passing because I didn't really want to talk to anyone yet and walking was a way to avoid interaction.
I topped up my oyster card and rode the train back and then walked home from Homerton station.  I haven't met yet the other people who live here, but when anyone opens another door or other drafts happen, my door crackles a bit, shaking in its frame. I'm finding it hard to put down a novel that's getting to the conclusion and I just want to finish it so I can get on with things. I didn't even mean to bring it to the UK with me originally.
My room is quite empty, with a bed left behind for me in one corner next to a roof-view window (open), and my three suitcases laid open in another corner. I've started lining up my shoes along the remaining wall. I had that sandwich late, and I've only had two not-really-toasted crumpets and a yogurt for diner. I'll sleep by ten instead.
For about 10 minutes a man screamed and screamed out in the street. I can't see the street from my window, but eventually I thought I also heard a woman or girl's voice yelling, and then it stopped. There are lots of shops that cater to people who want to send money to various countries in Africa around.

Tomorrow I am formulating a plan that involves getting a phone and seeing apartments in Mile End. Maybe I'll stop into my new place of employment? Maybe something else will happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment