Sunday, September 29, 2013

So far so

I'm moving into my "real" flat on the 16th of October. Until then, I've managed to work out the deal where I stay in Hackney in the room of a friend of a friend. There's all kinds of wacky things about the place though-- not least that the flat was on the market and has apparently been sold, so sooner or later everyone was going to have to move out anyway. It works out great for me, because I got the last month, then I'm going to get to extend it by two weeks quite easily and then just disappear midmonth.

But then yesterday one of the other flatmates moved out... and unbeknownst to me, she owned the wireless and took it with her.  Which is really showing up my internet addiction. I just sort of stand around in one spot, swaying, not sure what to do with myself or my time. So this morning I went to the French bakery across the street, bought my free wireless (for the price of two coffees and a full English breakfast) and looked at my options (as well as the internet).



I have concluded that my best option is not to buy any internet until I get to my new place in almost 3 weeks. Which means a reduction in hours I can use it and no more surfing in bed, but may also spell a healthy detox period.  And I'm not really too disconnected anyway, since there are cafes with free wireless all over, and I now have the magic iBrick that will check my email and all, and there's internet on QM's campus.

So I'm going to spend some time doing offline stuff. Which (ironically?) also includes things like prepping a nice big blog update about the Hackney flat and other things that will also show up online eventually.

Isn't it funny how computers and the internet are now synonymous in our heads? Or at least in mind. SOmetimes it takes me a minute to separate out what is proper to a computer and what is proper to the internet only.  It's a Venn diagram type thing.

yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment